Thursday, March 4, 2010

Journal #4: Finding Students who Learn with Media, NETS-T # I, V

Bull, G. (2010). Finding students who learn with media. Learning and Leading with Technology37(5),
    Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?
 Section=February_No_5_4&Template=/MembersOnly.cfm&NavMenuID=4495&ContentID=25255&DirectListCom
    boInd=D


Again, this article was interesting because it dealt with a project applicable for a social studies classroom, which is where I want to be a teacher. What I particularly found interesting was that the writers point out how different students respond to technology, and how some are more interested in the technology than the content, and others are more interested in the content than using the technology. I think that sometimes new technology can seem great, but actually not reach every student. Sometimes these technological assignments turn out to not teach as much as they seem like they would. The writers point out though, that "an application such as PrimaryAccess can automatically collect information about a child's performance...This, in turn, can provide the teacher with information that may allow her or him to differentiate instruction earlier."This would be helpful when using a web based program or other more detailed electronic project, to see if the students are really understanding the material.
How can I use a program that doesn't measure student progress?
I think that taking a survey before using the program about what the students already know about technology and the program we are going to use can show me how to help them or put them in groups so that each student's abilities can help the group. I would also explain about the material so that students do not have to research it all on their own, and even give a test before so that I know if they are understanding the basics of the content. Through these tests, I will be able to evaluate if a student will focus too much on either content or technology, and help to mold the project structure so they get a balance of both.
How can I monitor that my class is completing the work and not wasting time just playing with the online tools?
I would organize the project so that I could follow students' progress online and make sure they are not getting stuck or not working on the assignment. I would have them finish parts of the project spread out through a certain amount of time, so that they can work on it in stages. Then they will not be overwhelmed or having to do sloppy work because they waited until the last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment