Friday, March 19, 2010

Journal #6: Screencasting, NETS-T # III, V

Screencasting is the method of using tools such as podcasts or videos to present information. I read the thread titled, "Teacher's Use of Podcasts as a Teaching Tool!" This teacher had created "masterycasts" to help her students learn material.  She  recommended using Camtasia Studio to create podcasts, and said that thought it is not free, it is worth the money to get it. I was interested in one teacher's use of podcasting to study the Titanic, because I want to be a history teacher. She had her students pretend to be passengers and crew members and podcast about it. This uses technology in a fun and interesting way, and which engages students with a unique assignment.
The second thread I followed was titled, "Free Editing Tools That Work Well with Screencasting Captures?" I am not familiar at all with creating videos so I was interested to see what's available. This teacher was loking for help in finding tools that can create videos with multiple features and that has better quality than Windows Movie Maker. Some recomendations were Jing and Screentoaster, but the teacher who started the thread said that both of these did not have the editing capabilities he desired. Someone recomended Microsoft Producer which works with Microsoft PowerPoint, and the teacher was going to try it, but he never wrote back to say if it worked well or not. I think making movies for students is a great idea and I would definitely look into this Producer because it is free. I wouldn't be as worried about how many features it has because I would jut want to create basic videos to present information in a visual way for my students to make learning more fun.

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty interesting that you kind of try to play producer and direct the kids in a mini movie. I agree it doesn't matter if it is too intricate and professional as long as the kids have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is interesting. I looked up podcasting and I like that this is more about the picture and making movies. I feel students would have more fun with this than just strictly audio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. although screencasting seems very confusing at first it seems really interesting. In fact I think that I am going to try and check out what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only heard about Microsoft Producer one other time, but still am confused about it. I would also like to know if it worked well or not. I know the Mac computers have programs where you can edit videos and is very easy to use.

    ReplyDelete